Nicolas offers harp and lyre lessons to students of all ages and all levels of experience. People can begin learning the harp at any age! Many students have started playing the harp in their 40s, 50s, and even 70s.
Children usually begin harp lessons when they are around 9 years old, so that their arms can reach all strings. However, for some children, playing the harp is a calling at a young age; children who are highly-motivated can begin to learn on a smaller harp! Master lessons are offered for Celtic or Classical harpists interested in learning Latin American music.
Lessons can be provided at:
- My home
- Your home
- Via skype: nicolas.paul.carter 1 or Messenger: Nicolas Carter
Nicolas teaches in the folk tradition of learning to play by ear. Every student is different, therefore lessons are designed to respond to the needs of each student. Learning the harp can be challenging. Nicolas recognizes the importance making it a pleasurable experience. Melodies for the lessons are selected based on the student's preferences. New techniques and more complex music is introduced as the student gains proficiency.
I ask students to record the lessons to assist with their practicing at home. For students that lead busy lives, I encourage them to focus on the pleasure their weekly harp lesson and practice sessions provide, an important respite from day-to-day stressors.
Nicolas offers of variety of workshops for harp gathering ensembles and individuals who join together for a lesson. Here is a list of topics:
- Introduction to Paraguayan Harp Music
- Introduction to Paraguayan Harp Techniques
- Learning a Paraguayan tune. (Llegada, Pajaro Campana, 3 de Mayo, Sueno de Angelita)
- Learning to play: "Guantanamera"
- Learning to play: "El Condor Pasa"
- Learning to play: "La Paloma"
- Improvisation with Latin American rhythms
- Introduction to Latin American rhythms
- Storytelling and the harp
- Stage presence